A small sheep farm at the foothills of the majestic Sani Pass Valley was acquired and transformed into the registration and start venue of KAP sani2c and the finish of stage 6 of the Old Mutual joBerg2c. Glencairn Farm is still very much a sheep farm but the recent developments aimed at these races have provided a great opportunity to host a 2-day trail running event.
Glencairn Farm provides a home for these events, nestled within the beauty this area has to offer. There is no better way to appreciate these natural assets than by foot while running past dairy pastures and up alongside the Drakensberg Mountains. Hodgsons Peaks will always be in the foreground urging you to explore more of what this area has to offer.
We have two options available to our runners:1) Full Glencairn Package = R 2290
WHAT DOES IT INCLUDE
- 6 meals: including supper Friday and lunch on Sunday
- 24 hour tea table
- Fully serviced race village including bar, chill zone & charging station
- Event garment (Salomon)
- Tent and mattress (only full package)
- Event medal
- Permanent ablutions (Hot showers and airy flushing toilets)
- Medical and doctor support
- 24 hour security
- Water tables (one per day)
- Post run activities & entertainment (ultimate frisbee and a live band)
- Awesome trails and a race village experience that one can expect from a “2c” event
- Some of the most beautiful scenery in Southern Africa
SUPPORTERS PACKAGE: R1550
WHAT IT INCLUDES
- 2 NIGHTS ACCOMODATION: We will supply supporters with their own tent and mattresses. You are welcome to share tents should you wish. The tents are plenty big enough for two adults. (2.4m x 2.4m)
- 6 MEALS: Your supporter’s package includes all meals including Friday supper and Sunday lunch.
- SHOWERS & TOILETS: Glencairn has proper showers with hot water guaranteed 24/7. Plenty of real, airy, flush toilets are a permanent fixture at Glencairn so there is no need for you to start practicing to hold your breath!
- CHILL AREA: The main barn at Glencairn will act as the chill area. The pub, 24hr tea and coffee station and the relaxation lounges will be found in this area. This will be the hub of the race village and various post run activities will happen in or around this area. The supporters package will allow you to enjoy this area with the runners.
- POST RUN ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT: You are welcome to join all the activities planned after the run.
- DOCTOR: There will be an on-site doctor should you need to see him.
- 24 HOUR SECURITY
- CHILD CARE DURING THE RUN: We will have someone looking after the children while his/her parents are running.
- REMEMBER: Please don’t forget to bring your own towel, favorite pillow and a warm sleeping bag. Or better still a sheet and duvet. Remember you in the berg so things can get chilly.
CHILDREN’S PACKAGE: R800
We encourage families to bring their children along. There will be someone watching over the children while you run.
As the race village for Glencairn is on a sheep farm there is plenty of space for the children to run around. They can bring their bicycles along and can ride around the farm area.
During previous Glencairn Trail Run events, some of the children have decided while staying at the event to enter and run Day 2 of the Lamb Run which is 8kms. You can enter at the event for R250.00.
The cost is R800.00 per child under 12 years old which includes all 6 meals from Friday night dinner to Sunday lunch. It also included accommodation in our two man tents. Should you have two or more children they will be allocated a tent to share. Any child 13 years and older will need to purchase a normal supporters package which is R1650 for the weekend.
NB: PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A DAM ON THE FARM AND THE CHILDREN AND PARENTS MUST BE MADE AWARE OF IT.
Registration will be held at Glencairn Farm. Registration will open at 15:00 on Friday afternoon and close at 20:00. You will receive your race packs, tent numbers and your village band will be fitted. Dinner will be available to all runners. If you are coming up early Saturday you can register from 5:30am.
The Glencairn Trail Run has two events catering for different abilities. “The Ram Run” is the longer distance event (Day 1: 17km, Day 2: 19km) and “The Lamb Run” (Day 1: 10km, Day 2: 8km) is the shorter distance event. Both distances provide a unique mix of terrain with a couple of technical sections that everyone will enjoy. We have spent a lot of time on the route to ensure that it will captivate all runners to provide them with a special running experience.
Day 1 takes runners towards the Sani Pass Valley through a range of beautiful terrain, ranging from open veld, dairy pastures, pine forests and of course up alongside the Drakensberg. You will meet the Pholela River a number of times as you wind your way up towards the Drakensberg.
Day 2 is slightly shorter in distance but has a few kicks that will require some extra energy, particularly The Ram Run . Again you will traverse through a range of different terrain. The Southern Drakensberg is always in the background providing some great views
Each runner will be given a four-person tent (2.5m x 2.5m) all for themselves with a comfortable mattress. You will be required to bring your own sleeping bag and pillow.
Should you wish to not camp in the race village you can book accommodation anywhere in or around Himeville, Sani Pass or Underberg. See below for some options in the area.
Day 1 you will self-batch yourselves. Day 2’s batch will all depend on your Day 1 performance. Should you wish to run with your friends you are welcome to move down into their batch. They cannot move up into yours.
More information: glencairntrailrun.co.za/
Images of the event
Glencairn Farm, Underberg