The Heartland Gravenduro
The daylight hours will be an immersive experience across barren wastelands, mountain passes and river valleys interspersed with racing segments of different disciplines.
The terrain is undoubtedly the domain of the gravel bike - drop bars, stiff frame, big chainring. We are not averse to you riding it on a mountain bike though, if you so wish. e-bikes are welcome to come along on the adventure, you just can't compete on the human powered race segments.
The evenings are a social affair, great food and excellent accommodation.
What's in the package?
- 6 nights of top notch accommodation, 2 nights in De Stijl Gariep Hotel, 2 nights in The Drostdy Graaff Reinet, 1 night in Die Tuishuise and Victoria Manor in Cradock, and one night of "Glamping" on the shores of the Fish River.
- 6 dinner and breakfasts, 5 lunches
- 5 days of supported riding over 480km through the Eastern Great Karoo on long forgotten, classic routes.
- 14 km of adrenalin filled river rafting on the 2nd day, the Orange-Fish River irrigation tunnel empties out a few Km's above, so there is always a torrent of water to enjoy.
- Bus with bike transfers between certain sections.
- Sweep vehicle with experienced ER24 medic always in attendance
- Heavily stocked water and nutrition points along the way.
- Experienced Ride captain to assist with mechanicals and rider safety.
How much does it cost?
So here's the thing, what inspired us to look at designing the route and race format, was the entry price of various popular stage races, and of course that hard-core one that traverses the Karoo for 1000km. We decided to see what we could offer at a similar or lower cost. An endurance ride with a bit of racing, and at least the possibility to socialise with your mates along the way, time to take in the surroundings, and not be so knackered at the end of a day.
Accommodation had to be top notch, meals first class and the routes filled with history and atmosphere.
The good news is we did it at a cheaper price per day, the bad news is, it isn't free.
- R 21900 per head sharing a room each night
- R 24 800 per head for a private room throughout the ride.
6 Nights, 5 days of classic adventure riding.
More information: www.gravenduro.com/the-heartland-gravenduro.html
De Stijl Gariep Hotel, Gariepdam
Just off the N1 near Colesberg.
|Address||2 Aasvoel Str. Gariepdam, Gariep|