Knysna Marathon Club
The race offers several unique highlights found in no other race anywhere in the world. Much of the run takes place deep in the forest with a breath-taking view over the Knysna lagoon into The Heads, for inspiration towards the finish. One race tip is to start slow.
Although no one taking part has ever seen the elusive Knysna elephants, little piles of dung sometimes seen on the route are a reminder that they do inhabit the forest, somewhere. Keeping this pristine environment in mind and the potential impact of the race on it, all runners share rides into the forest provided by local taxis to the race start in a clearing in the forest, where runners arriving early are also treated to hot drinks and snacks next to warming fires.
- Race Date is 08 JULY 2023. Compulsory Registration on 07 JULY 2023 between 10:00 and 22:00
- Online entries only. No Postal, fax or telephone entries will be accepted.
- No entries will be sold at registration or on race day.
- Please ensure correct entry of your Email address and contact number as this is used for all communications. Do not create alternative login profiles. If you lose your login details, follow the recovery procedure on the website.
- Entries will be limited to 1 250 for the full marathon, and 5 750 for the half marathon.
- Charity Entries: Charity entries will be on sale from 23 January 2023 until they are sold out. There will be 150 Half and 30 Full Marathon entries available. These can be bought by anyone, should you wish to avoid disappointment. Charity entries will cost R720 for the Half Marathon and R740 for the full marathon, excluding Temp license or T-Shirt.
- Loyalty Entries – All runners who entered in 2020, 2021 and 2022 will have first choice to enter the 2023 Event. Loyalty entries open on 01 February. Your ID number will be compared to our list to be able to make an entry.
- General Online entries - Open on 13 February, and will close when the limit has been reached, or on 21 May 2022.
- Half Marathon Entries Cost R220.00
- Full Marathon Entries Cost R240.00
- Moisture management, long sleeve event T-shirt cost is R240.00
T-Shirts must be collected in person and will not be handed to third parties. T-shirts not collected on Registration Day will be sold on race day towards Charity. No T Shirts will be kept or distributed after the event
- Runners not licensed by ASA for the current year will need to purchase a temporary ASA running license available with the online entry at a cost of R40.00
- Several payment options are available from the online entry portal including Card and EFT. Please follow payment instructions closely and if paying by way of EFT the exact amount and the provided reference must be used. Branch deposits will be available but will attract a cash handling fee.
Confirmation of entries
- Confirmation of your entry will be emailed as soon as payment has been successful.
- Your race numbers will be confirmed Mid-June by email to all entrants. This race number confirmation must be produced at registration along with proof of ID.
Our designated race charities for 2023 are:
- VERMONT OLD AGE HOME
- LOERIEHOF OLD AGE HOME
- KNYSNA EPILEPSY CENTRE
- SINETHEMBA YOUTH DEVELOPMENT CENTRE
Knysna Marathon Club takes great care each year in selecting our event Charities, as we operate in a small community and do know of the great needs that exist. Your compassion in including that something extra each year with your entry fee is sincerely welcomed by our selected Charities. The donations you make as well as the proceeds from the sale of the Charity tickets get split between these Charities for 2023.
Clothing collection is destined to become the biggest of its kind in the country and your gifts of clothing collected at Registration as well as along the Race Routes make sure our underprivileged communities stay warm during the coldest part of winter. Please do not hand clothing directly to the local community. It only draws massive amounts of non-runners to the area resulting in Security risks and the clothes do not end up where it is needed most. We do have a properly organized distribution program managed by Knysna Marathon Club that collect and properly distribute the clothing where the need is highest.
The Knysna Forest Marathon will accept substitutions for the 2023 race during the substitution window period of 22 May – 04 June 2023.
How it works:
- Entrants who have successfully entered the 2023 Knysna Forest Marathon will have the opportunity to withdraw from the race during the window period of 22 – 28 May 2023.
- An Admin Fee of 15% of the entry fee will be deducted from the withdrawing athlete.
- A refund of 85% of the entry fee will be made to all withdrawing athletes who have been successfully substituted
- Entry slots that have been made available by withdrawing entrants will then be made available on a first come first serve basis to individuals wanting to enter the event via an online substitution entry window period of 29 May – 04 June 2023.
- The substitution entry fee will be the same as per the 2023 entry fee.
- No late substitutions will be accepted.
- There will be no money or voucher exchange between athletes.
- The registration and finish venue will remain at the central town venue.
- Registration and number collection will be open from l0h00 to 22h00 on Friday 07 July 2023 (This is subject to change)
- There will be no registration or number collection on Saturday morning. No exceptions.
- The race number confirmation together with positive Photo identification such as an ID book or a driver license must be produced at registration.
- NO POSITIVE ID, NO RACE PACK.
- T-shirts not collected in Person at Registration will be sold on behalf of our Charities on the Saturday. No T-shirts will be posted or kept for entrants not collected Registration.
- At registration you will receive your race number (with timing chip), t-shirt (if ordered), and final instructions.
- The race number contains a tear-off section with the words "T-shirt"(if ordered) which must be torn off and exchanged for a t-shirt. No tag, no t-shirt. It also contains a tear-off section with the words “taxi” which must be torn off and handed to the loading staff on Saturday morning to be transported to the race start. Do not tear off until needed as it cannot be replaced, and you will not be able to get to the start venue.
- The top tear off on your race number can be securely attached to your tog bag for handing in at the transport trucks at the Race start (see Route). Due to the nature of the service provided we do not accept responsibility for the bag or valuables placed in them.
- ASA registered runners as well as Temporary runners will be provided with two personalized event number bibs that must be worn on the front and back of the vest and be always visible during the event. No advertising allowed.
- The taxi pickup point to the start is from Vigilance Drive as per the map on the website.
- Parking is available at Loerie-park and along George Rex Drive.
- Entry into the Taxi Loading area is only available from the George Rex Drive Direction.
- Taxis leave from Vigilance Drive from 04h30 onwards, last pick up is 6h00 DO NOT BE LATE! Please comply with the final instructions in your race pack.
- A tog bag vehicle will be on hand to transport your tog bag back to the finish venue. Please do not leave any valuable items in your tog bag. Bags will be available for collection from l0h00 in the main Registration area.
- There will be free tea, coffee and biscuits for all athletes served in the Bedouin tent.
- The 42.2km starts at 07h00 and the 21.1km starts at 08h00.
- The timing starts at the firing of the starter pistol and when you cross the start line. THE RACE IS MAT TO MAT.
- Maps of the 21km and 42km routes are available from the website
- Water and other suitable refreshments will be provided at approximately 3km intervals on the route as well as at the start and finish.
- PLEASE TRY THROW YOUR SACHETS IN THE BINS PROVIDED OR AS CLOSE TO A MARKER TO ENSURE THE CLEANLINESS OF OUR FOREST.
- Distance markers will be placed on the right-hand side of the route at every km
- Course use: On all dirt road sections as well as tarred sections not demarcated, the runners must keep to the right-hand side of the road to allow passage of emergency vehicles and landowners, unless instructed differently by the marshals and Traffic Officers
- Cut-off time: 21.1km = 3 ½ hrs.
- Cut-off time: 42.2 km= 5 ½ hrs.
- (NOTE: This race is NOT a comrades qualifier)
- Runners still out on the route after the cutoff times might be picked up and returned to the finish venue due to the opening of traffic lanes and withdrawing of event support.
After The Race/Finish
- To celebrate the 38th running of the event a unique indigenous timber shield will be available to the first 50 finishers in the 42.2km and the first 10 in the 21.1km; silver medals for the first 800 finishers and bronze medals for the rest who finish the 42.2km.
- All 21km finishers will receive a bronze medal.
- Permanent numbers will be awarded to the runners completing their 10th 42.2km.
- Prize giving will commence at the finish area at 12H30. (If Allowed)
- Cash Lucky Draws at prize giving.
- You must be present to be eligible for the lucky draw prizes. The organizers decision is final in awarding the lucky draw prizes.
- Prize and Lucky draw Money will be paid to your bank account by way of EFT.
- Prize Money will only be paid out once the race results have been verified.
- Appeals contesting results and prize money need to be lodged with in half hour after conclusion of Prize giving. The head referee will be in attendance behind the prize giving stage.
- Athletes are responsible to collect their own prize money or make a written arrangement before Prize giving commences, with the Event Organizer failing which prize money is forfeited. (ASA Rule 2.10)
- A free Taxi Shuttle service will be provided to get the runners from the Finish back to the Taxi Pick up point near Loerie Park.
- Showers will be available at The Knysna Marathon Clubhouse. (at Loerie-park entrance near the taxi loading point)
- Toilets will be available at the Taxi pickup point, at the race start and at the Finish venue.
Rules And Regulations
- Held under the rules of ASA and ASWD. All competitors must comply with the rules, regulations and instructions given by officials, marshals, and traffic officials. Non-compliance may lead to disqualification. The Race Referee’s decision is final. The Race Organizer reserve the right to accept / reject any entry received.
- Club Colors: 2023 ASA Registered Athletes must participate in their correct club colors. If you are a registered runner and want to run in a costume you will need to purchase a Temporary License at a cost of R 40.
- Temporary License: Temporary Licensed athletes will not be covered by the ASA National runner insurance.
- Foreigners: All foreign athletes must comply with WA rule 142.2 and 4.2. Foreign athletes must be able to produce a letter from their respective federation permitting them to participate on race day when requested to do so by the race officials.
- Proof of Age: Athletes must give proof of their age at the request of the Race Referee. (Original ID / Birth Certificate / Permanent Residence Permit)
- Minimum Age: 21.1 km = 16 yrs.
- Minimum Age: 42.2 km= 20 yrs.
- Private vehicles: No Private vehicles will be allowed on the race route or near the Start area in the Glebe. No Private drop-off of runners at the start. The provided Taxi service is the only way to get to the Race Start.
- Seconding: No seconding will be allowed on the routes due to access restrictions.
- Movement of emergency vehicles: For safety reasons and to prevent delays in deploying emergency vehicles the use of personal music players (ASA Rule 34.10.6), Animals (ASA Rule 34.10.1), or Wheelchairs (ASA Rule 34.10.4) are NOT allowed. Any person using such device shall not be eligible for prizes and will be disqualified without a warning and will be removed from the route.
- Medical: Medical support will be available at the Finish venue as well as at certain points on the routes. Medical staff may remove a runner from the course should they have reason to suspect that continuing might pose increased health risks to the runner.
- Age Tags: Participants will be eligible for prizes in the OPEN category and the age category for which they have entered. Age Category details will be contained on the Event Race number bibs and additional Age Tags do not need to be worn.
- Objections and Appeals: Any objections or appeals must be logged with the Head Referee within 30 minutes after Prize Giving. The Head Referee will be available at the podium to receive any objection or appeal in the prescribed manner till 30 minutes after the conclusion of Prize giving. No objection or appeal will be entertained after this time as per ASA rule 27.1 The head referee may require payment of R500 fee to loge the appeal. This payment could be forfeited if the Appeal is not successful
- Disclaimer - The organizing body reserves the right to alter these rules and regulations to comply with updated National rules and regulations as published by ASA and Provinces from time to time.
- NO REFUNDS – If the race cannot be run, a virtual event will be organized.
- KNYSNA MARATHON CLUB CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY PERSON WHO GETS SICK OR INJURED DURING THE REGISTRATION FOR OR ANY ASPECT OF TAKING PART IN THE EVENT. KNYSNA MARATHON CLUB WILL PUT IN PLACE PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES TO KEEP THE RUNNERS AND ORGANIZERS SAFE AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.
- Refreshments, food, and other activities will be available on Friday 07 July, as well as on race day
- Ablution will be available at the Taxi pickup point, the starting point in the forest and at the finish venue.
- Results will not be posted to competitors after the race. An SMS will be sent to competitors after the race with the finishing time.
- Full results will be available on www.knysnaforestmarathon.co.za a few days after the race.
- Jetline Action Photo is the official race photographer, and the images can be ordered from them after the event. A link to their website will be added to the race results
- For race enquiries contact:
- 076 195 4832
- [email protected]
- For up-to-date information and online entries go to www.knysnaforestmarathon.co.za
Long Sleeve - R240
Short Sleeve - R200
*Please note that the indemnity form should be signed by all participants.
To download the indemnity form click the link below
Images of the event
Knysna Marathon Club
Enter for Knysna Forest Marathon »
|42km Charity Entries||R 740.00|
|21km Charity Entries||R 720.00|
|21km SOLD OUT||R 220.00|
Classes and pricing
Available classes for the event
|Class||Distance||Start Time||Price (pp)|
42km Charity Entries
R500 Charity + R240 Entry Fee - Entries open 23 January 2023
|42 km||07:00||R 740.00|
|42km||42 km||07:00||R 240.00|
21km Charity Entries
R500 Charity + R220 Entry Fee - Entries open 23 January 2023
|21 km||08:00||R 720.00|
|21km SOLD OUT||21 km||08:00||R 220.00|
Knysna High School Sports Fields, Knysna