Magoebas Ultra Trail
4 RACES THROUGH THE MAGICAL MAGOEBASKLOOF FORESTS
The Hi-Tec Magoebas Ultra offers 4 races through the magical forests of Magoebaskloof. Runners can choose between the 50km, 36km, 20km or 10km according to their ability and goals. All four distances are run in the magical forests of Magoebaskloof. Routes are predominantly run on exhilarating single track through indigenous forests and man-made plantations. The routes pass beautiful waterfalls and cross pristine mountain streams.
All 4 races of the Hi-Tec Magoebas Ultra are trail running at its best.
The races are run on SAFCOL property and on SAFCOL trails. The routes traverse some of the most beautiful forests that South Africa has to offer and it is unique to experience these pristine trails in a race format.
THE MAGOEBAS 50 KM ULTRA TRAIL
The 50 KM route of the Hi-Tec Magoebas Ultra will literally blow your mind. With 90% single track heaven through breathtaking forests, epic fast descends and some seriously steep climbs.
This route has it all and is fast becoming one of South Africa's iconic 50 KM trail races.
- Runners will start and finish at Debengeni Falls in Magoebaskloof. The route starts with a very steep and long climb to the top of the escarpment at Woodbush Hut. This steep start should be approached conservatively - you will need your quads later on. First aid station is at Woodbush Hut after kilometer 10.
- Once runners reach the top of the first big climb at Woodbush Hut, the route flows through some stunning plantations and forests. You'll run through some Redwood Forests and past the tallest planted tree in the Southern Hemisphere. The section to Broederstroom Hut is undulating with lots of climbing. Your 2nd aid station will be at Broederstroom Hut after 20kms of running.
- From Broederstroom Hut runners will make their way toward the halfway mark at the Dap Naude Picnic spot.
- From the halfway mark runners will start the second big climb all the way to the top of Schnellskop at roughly 34 km's.
- The descent down into the valley is probably one of the best pieces of singletrack you will ever run - guaranteed. We've called the section "Magoebas Magic".
THE MAGOEBAS FOREST AND MOUNTAIN TRAIL 36KM
The 36 KM route of the Hi-Tec Magoebas Ultra is a fantastic option for those runners wanting to transition to ultra distance events. It is mostly single track through breathtaking forests, epic fast descends and some seriously steep climbs.
This route has it all. Epic views, beautiful forests, fast descends and one epic climb to finish it all.
- Runners will start and finish at Debengeni Falls in Magoebaskloof.
- The route starts with the section that is called "The Wall of Magoebas". A section that starts out with a beautiful flowing singletrack with a very gentle gradient. But just as you are getting comfortable, things will take a turn for the worst, when the gradient starts kicking and the lungs start burning, you will know you are now on the business side of the Wall of Magoebas. This section climbs about 400 meters in 6kms. At the top of the Wall of Magoebas you will reach your first aid station at Woodbush Hut at KM 8.
- The second section towards Broederstroom hut is an undulating section. This section meanders through Redwood forests, beautiful indigenous forests and past the tallest planted trees in the Southern hemisphere. Here you will be able to make up some good time as the terrain is very runnable. Don't go too fast though, the climbing adds up in this section. Broederstroom Hut is your second aid station at KM 20.
- From Broederstroom Hut runners will make their way towards the bottom of the Valley. The descent down into the valley is probably one of the best pieces of singletrack you will ever run - guaranteed. We've called the section "Magoebas Magic".
THE MAGOEBAS FOREST AND MOUNTAIN TRAIL 20KM
The 20 KM route of the Hi-Tec Magoebas Ultra promises to be extremely fun and fast, but still a proper challenge. It is the perfect route for any trail runner that is transitioning into the longer distances. 95% of the route is on singletrack through breathtaking forests, with an epic fast descent into. Debengeni and the "Wall of Magoebas" to start with.
- Runners will start and finish at Debengeni Falls in Magoebaskloof. The route starts with the epic "Wall of Magoebas". A section that starts out with a beautiful flowing singletrack with a very gentle gradient. But just as you are getting comfortable, things will take a turn for the worst, when the gradient starts kicking and the lungs start burning, you will know you are now on the business side of the Wall of Magoebas. This section climbs about 400 meters in 6kms. You wiill reach your first aid station at the top of the climb at Woodbush Hut.
- The second section will be fast and furious. It is a singletrack descent back to Debengeni Falls. This is going to be fast and it will blow your mind. Empty your tank as you head for an epic finish.
THE MAGOEBAS FOREST FUN RUN 10KM
The Hi-Tec Magoebas Forest Fun Run is aimed at anyone that want to come and experience the magical Magoebaskloof with all the excitement and energy that comes with a race atmosphere. It is also the perfect distance for anyone that is new to running and new to trail running.
Although the shortest in distance, the 10KM fun run route will still challenge you in a fun and exciting way. The route start and finish at Debengeni Falls.
There is a significant amount of climbing in the first half, with some technical single track running, before coming back on easier forestry roads. The perfect mixture between fun and challenging.
Even though the 10KM comes without a race medal, we encourage participants to purchase a race shirt with their entry as an heirloom for their race.
RACE WEEK SCHEDULE:
Thursday, 21 March 2024 (Public Holiday)
- Suggested travel day to Magoebaskloof
- 17:30 Shake Out Run at Krabbefontein, early registration and social
Friday, 22 March 2024
- 10:00 - 16:00 Registration at Magoebaskloof Hotel
- 12:00 Burgers and Beer at Zwakala Brewery
Saturday, 23 March 2024
- Race Day
- 05:30 50 KM Ultra Start
- 06:30 36 KM Start
- 08:30 20 KM Start
- 09:30 10 KM Start
- 17:30 Cut-off for all distances
**** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON LOGISTICS FOR 2024
For the 2024 Hi-Tec Magoebas Ultra there will be a change in the logistics to get to the start line.
For the 50KM Ultra - runners will have the option to park at Debengeni. Please note that we advise all 50KM runners to ensure that you have purchased a parking ticket or that you are getting to the start with friends that have a ticket.
For all other distances the shuttles will be operating again. Please make sure that you purchase a shuttle ticket in advance!
2024 RACE SHIRT BY TACTIC
Please note that the race shirt is not included in your entry fee, and should be ordered separately. The shirts are of incredible quality, made in Spain.
For sizing please visit the following link:
We advise runners to order one size bigger than what they normally wear.
More information: www.magoebasultra.com
Classes and pricing
Available classes for the event
Magoebas 50 KM Ultra Trail
South Africa's flagship forest ultra trail. 50 KM, 2 000 meters + of vertical ascent.
|50 km Single Stage||R 1,450.00|
Magoebas Forest and Mountain Trail 36 KM
36 KM of forest and mountain trail. +- 1 300 meters of vertical ascent.
|36 km Single Stage||R 1,050.00|
Magoebas Forest and Mountain Trail 20 KM
One of the toughest, but most scenic half-marathon trail events in South Africa. 20 KM, +- 800 meters of vertical ascent.
|20 km Single Stage||R 850.00|
10KM Magoebas Forest Fun Run
Beautiful, yet challenging 10KM.
|10 km||R 700.00|
Debengeni Falls and Magoebaskloof Hiking, Tzaneen