ENTRIES CLOSE: 1 April or once we’ve reached the 150 entry limit.
- 16km – Senior, Vet, Masters – Male / female categories
- 42km – Senior, Vet, Masters – Male / female categories
OORLOGSKLOOF – NATURES INSPIRATION:
Total altitude gain over 42km = 1500m
Deep gorges, cliffs, cracks under the mountain, plateaus covered in stands of Cape Sugar bush and large Waboom trees, massive rock pillars, caverns, rock arches, Hyracidium [Crystallised Dassie – Rock Hyrax – urine] as old as 400 000 years, ancient rock art, moon-crater like sandstone rock slabs etc. A Magnificent Wilderness. Rich in history.
The run routes follows a combination of hiking trails. The variety is simply relentless with pristine beauty to match.
Names like Draaikraal, Granaatdraai, Donkiestasie, Arrie se Punt, Pramkoppie and numerous others marks areas of significance including ancient burial sites on route. There are plenty natural rock shelters along the route. Cell phone reception is sketchy and mainly on the South and East side of Oorlogskloof – from around the halfway mark to the finish but only on high lying areas.
Many decades ago, the pioneer farmers in the area used donkeys to transport Rooibos Tea from the mountains to lower ground. When they left, they also left their donkeys behind. These have now become wild and runners might well spot 2 or more in the area between Doltuin and Granaatdraai. A rare sighting is that of the Red Rock Rabbit up on the plateau. 2-3 herds of Cape Mountain Zebra prevail, especially in the Pramkoppie and Brakwater areas.
The area is described and listed as “pristine” and runners will – in every sense – experience a unique adventure!
CATERING FOR NON RUNNERS
- We can cater for non runners
R 600.00 pp
incl permits plus 2 nights camping and catering:
- Sat morning coffee, rusks and cereal/oats,
- Saturday lunch potjie,
- Saturday dinner braai,
- Sunday farm style breakfast.
- if you have your their own place to stay/accommodation outside of the reserve
R460.00 pp incl permits plus catering – as above
Kids under 7 years stay free.
FOR ADDITIONAL CATERING SEND US AN EMAIL – [email protected] and state
- if you are vegetarian or meat
- Name/surname/contact number
SOLO 42KM ENTRY
If you would like to do the 42km solo, please let us know what similar, remote, wilderness type trail runs you’ve done in the last 3 years. If you’ve already run any of the Oorlogskloof runs above 5km, you would qualify automatically. [email protected]
- Cedarberg 60/100
- Wartrail – the trail running section of it
- Marloth trail run
- Berg & Beach – 27km mountain section
- Hobbit 100
- Augrabies Extreme
- Adventure racer types/expeditionary types of sorts could also qualify
There are several others – If you are unsure, drop Uge an email to [email protected]
Map and profiles to follow soon on this page.
Limited pre entries only.
ENTRY OPTIONS: This is for the whole weekend . Prices increased for the 1st time since 2016 – by 4% on average.
- 42km – R1350.00 per person. Staying at Groot Tuin and incl catering.
- 42km – R990.00 per person if you source your own accommodation. Catering still included at Groot Tuin.
- 16km – R980.00 per person. Staying at Groot Tuin and incl catering.
- 16km – R800.00 per person if you source your own accommodation. Catering still included at Groot Tuin.
WHAT YOU RECEIVE FOR YOUR ENTRY:
With your entry for the run or for those extra catering folk, the reserve permit is included.
Please note that their are limited “hut” sleeping space – about 20 people [The huts have mattresses] and the reserve can only sleep 120 people in total. First comes first serve basis. There is also additional accommodation in the Niewoudtville area. See at bottom of this email.
- 2 nights camping accommodation – Friday and Saturday eve. [bring your own tent and sleeping bag] or sleeping in a dorm styled thatched hut. . First come first served! Limited hut sleeping space. There are 6 x 3 man tents erected and available for the long distance travelers/flying in.
- Light breakfast on Saturday/run day – Coffee/tea/rusks on the morning of the run
- Lunch – Karoo Lamb or vegetarian potjie as you cross the finish line – for some it will be a mid day lunch and for others a mid afternoon lunch and for a few others – dinner…
- Finish line – Tailwind Nutrition and chilled water
- Dinner – Braai with salads and freshly baked bread
- Breakfast on Sunday – Farmstyle breakfast [Bacon, eggs etc]
- An Adventure Run experience too incredible to describe!
- a Large boma styled fire at the enclosed lapa area. NO FIRES ALLOWED ANY OTHER PLACE
- Spending time with like minded folk – It’s “LIFE STYLE” – not an ordinary run!
- Reserve permits. With your entry for the run or for those extra catering folk, the reserve permit is included.
- A branded race cap. Please help us by entering early – it is impossible to guess accurately how many caps we have to send in for embroidery.
RACE START TIMES:
- 42km – 07h00
- 16km trail run – 07h00
- 5km fun run/walk – 07h02
START/FINISH: Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve – Groot Tuin Camp
RACE RULES: Pay attention to this as we do stringent kit checks before you start your run.
Please take careful note of these T’s & C’s and compulsory gear below is not negotiable
• Runners must be self sufficient and carry enough water and food to sustain them for the entire route. We will point out at what distances on the run you will find mountain/stream/fountain water
• You must carry a cell phone
• Mini first aid kit – You must be able to cover ankle twist/sprains/torn ligaments/head injuries/bruises/cuts/insect and spider bites/abrasions etc.
• You must carry an “emergency blanket”.
• You must carry a “water proof” rain jacket WITH hood. The weather here is “unpredictable”
• Head torch.
• Long sleeve base layer. If it is cold weather bring a “fleece top”
• Runners must have a policy in place that will cover them in case of evacuation by air from the mountain to hospital etc. The area is remote and inaccessible by vehicle in most parts!
• If you have any adverse health condition – DO NOT TAKE PART! This is especially people with high blood pressure, heart conditions, lung conditions, flu, etc. If you’re a diabetic, asthma sufferer, allergic to bee stings etc. – ensure you take your required medication along. This also goes for people allergic to various bites, stings etc. – carry anti histamine tablets for this.
• You must carry a card with all your medical details on it such a Doctor’s telephone number, Medical insurance number, emergency telephone number and contact name, blood group, any allergies etc. This must be inside a sealed Ziploc bag and on your person.
• Each person must save this cell number on their phone – 082 658 3078 [Ugene Nel] for “emergency” use only. Reception is poor though!
• Do not take short cuts – any person caught taking short cuts, littering, abusing other users in the reserve or any other place during the event will be disqualified.
Drinking water can be obtained from the Oorlogskloof River, springs and seasonal water in rock pools on the mountain AS LONG AS THEY’VE HAD RAIN RECENTLY! We will brief you beforehand re the water availability.
CANCELLATIONS / SUBSTITUTIONS:
Entry fees will only be refunded if a medical certificate for illness or injury can be provided which prohibits partaking in any event on this weekend. This is valid until the 20 March, thereafter the cost of catering, caps and reserve permits will be deducted from the refundable fee. In this case, you may also use your entry fee as a credit for any of our other runs in 2019 - valid for one year only.
Substitutions : An admin fee of R100.00 will be charged for substitutions.
We’ve been helping the Reserve building “donkeys” for hot water and a functional venue. There are currently 6 showers – 3 male/female and pleased to hear that the ablutions are now nearing completion – flush toilets and extra showers and basins!
Nieuwoudtville is 340km from Cape Town and it has numerous awesome accommodation options. A place worth checking out is www.papkuilsfontein.co.za OR you can contact Joey in town who also has some double bed units – 0827737034. She also happens to be the lady who [with her Crew] makes all the awesome food every year!
Nieuwoudtville is 349km from Cape Town.
Directions to GROOT TUIN from Nieuwoudtville – Drive West after leaving town on the R27 for 6km. There is a sign board for Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve.
31°22’17.13″S and 19° 2’27.73″E
Stay on the dirt road for another 10km. You will go through a few gates to get here – Groot Tuin. 31°26’38.07″S and 19° 4’13.68″E
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN AND AROUND NIEUWOUDTVILLE
- De Lande & Papkuilsfontein 0272181246 [email protected] B&B&D/SC
- Wa Pad Gastehuis* Joey Warrington. 027 218 1387. 082 773 7034. [email protected] B&B+SC
- Elandsvoetpad 0836456446 [email protected] SC
- Gannabos 0272181249 0871508101 [email protected] B&B/SC
- Swissvilla 0272181347 0729517064 [email protected] B&B/SC
- Brandkop 0272181254 0836353147 [email protected] SC
- Cloudskraal 0272181363 0731665972 [email protected] SC
- Die 1897 Nedersetting 0272181897 0824967875 [email protected] B&B&D
- Groenrivier 0272181265 0836669905 [email protected] SC
- Hantamsdrift 0274822807 [email protected] SC
- Kliprivier & Kraaifontein 0272181204 0825343922 [email protected] B&B/SC
- Rooidakhuis 0272181897 0824967875 [email protected] B&B&D
- Uncle Tony’s Cabin 0836098448 [email protected] SC
- Vinknes 0272181289 [email protected] SC
- A La Belle Etoile 0272181274 0843619982 [email protected] B&B
- Boereplaas B&B 0272181024 0827847449 [email protected] B&B
- Elmarie’s self catering flats 0272181226 0832347503 [email protected] SC
- Grasberg Gasteplaas 0272181228 0837722918 [email protected] SC
- Kromvlei 0272181379 0832385658 [email protected] SC
- Sewefontein 0272181501 0833157008 [email protected] SC
- Wa-pad Gastehuis 0827737034 [email protected] B&B
- Willemsrivier 0272181000 0834505939 [email protected] SC
- Kokerboom cottages 0272181405 0836931007 [email protected] SC
- Matjiesfontein Guest farm/padstal 0272181217 0828132805 SC
- Sonweelde 0272181338 0839482669 B&B
- Bokmakierie 0781619369 [email protected] SC
- Mi Cassa 0824190927 0832678015 d [email protected] SC
- Garsland Plaashuis 0835772035 [email protected] SC
- Debbie’s Self catering 0837291501 [email protected] SC
- Groenrivier Campsite 0836669905 [email protected] Campsite
- Matjiesfontein Campsite 0272181217 0828132805 Campsite
- Papkuilsfontein Campsite 0272181246 [email protected] Campsite
- Olive Caravan park 0272181535 [email protected] Campsite
- Die Waenhuis 0270500457 [email protected] Eetplek
Classes and pricing
Available classes for the event
|Class||Distance||Start Time||Price (pp)|
|Masters Male 42km Incl camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 1,350.00 Early Bird|
|Masters Female 42km Incl camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 1,350.00 Early Bird|
|VET MALE 42km Incl camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 1,350.00 Early Bird|
|VET FEMALE 42km Incl camping at venue||42 km||07:30||R 1,350.00 Early Bird|
|Senior Male 42km Incl camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 1,350.00 Early Bird|
|Senior Female 42km Incl camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 1,350.00 Early Bird|
|Masters Male 16km Incl camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 980.00 Early Bird|
|Masters Female 16km Incl camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 980.00 Early Bird|
|Vet Male 16km Incl camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 980.00 Early Bird|
|Vet Female 16km Incl camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 980.00 Early Bird|
|Senior Male 16km Incl camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 980.00 Early Bird|
|Senior Female 16km Incl camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 980.00 Early Bird|
|Masters Male 42km EXCLUDING camping at venue||42 km||07:30||R 990.00 Early Bird|
|Masters Female 42km EXCLUDING camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 990.00 Early Bird|
|Senior Male 42km EXCLUDING camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 990.00 Early Bird|
|Senior Female 42km EXCLUDING camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 990.00 Early Bird|
|Vet Male 42km EXCLUDING camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 990.00 Early Bird|
|Vet Female 42km EXCLUDING camping at venue||42 km||07:00||R 990.00 Early Bird|
|Masters Male 16km EXCLUDING camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 800.00 Early Bird|
|Masters Female 16km EXCLUDING camping at venue||16 km||00:00||R 800.00 Early Bird|
|Vet Male 16km EXCLUDING camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 800.00 Early Bird|
|Vet Female 16km EXCLUDING camping at venue||16 km||07:00||R 800.00 Early Bird|
|Senior Male 16km EXCLUDING camping at venue||16 km||00:00||R 800.00 Early Bird|
|Senior Female 16km EXCLUDING camping at venue||16 km||00:00||R 800.00 Early Bird|
Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve, Nieuwoudtville
Turn off the N7 at Vanrhynsdorp and head to Nieuwoudtville. The turn-off to Oorlogskloof is 6km before you reach the town. It is 10km from the tar road to the reserve on a dirt road.
|Address||Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve|