The Cederberg Traverse, presented by Cederberg Wines is a 100km of mountain trail run with 3800m of climbing.
Please note that entries are now closed the the Cederberg Traverse.
Entries by invitation only
Apply with your recent running CV to [email protected]
You will run, stumble and crawl through all the iconic Cederberg highlights and visit remote valleys and kloofs that few have ever seen.
You need to be able to look after yourself – Bear Grylls gnawing on scorpions!
The 100km non-stop Traverse!
Cape Nature have confirmed that a significant portion of trails along the Cederberg 100mile route remains closed after the January fires.
Wolfberg to Crystal Pools is not available to us.
It means that the 100 Mile race has to be placed on hold until 2018
Training Tips and Hints
1) Train like you mean it. The racing will be fun, if the training is hard.
2) Train with a pack. Cederberg Traverse is not about speed work, but diesel engine power.
3) Train in your race gear with full kit, to get used to it and iron out any issues.
4) Run in the dark, on technical tracks (not the road) using head lamp.
Camping at Sanddrif
Registration / briefing dinner
Lunch at Algeria (Just over half way)
Sunday brunch feast
Nature conservation fees
Race snacks and water at CPs
100km – R3500
Winning Times of 2016: (Download 2016 Cederberg Traverse Results)
Last Runner: 53:31:00
Last Runner: 25:00:25
All runners are highly advised to arrive at Sanddrift after Lunch time on Friday 13th. Registration at Sanddrift will be at 5pm, the briefing and a light meal will follow at 6pm and 7pm respectively.
On the morning of the race, Saturday 14th all runners will leave Sanddrift at 5am, the race will start at 7am at Pakhuise Pass.
There are no refunds. If you cannot take part you must find a substitute for your entry. Roll-overs are valid for 1 year ONLY and substitutions do not apply.
En route cut-offs at 7pm at Algeria checkpoints.
Mapped route, not race marked
Pairs are encouraged for safety
100km- Runners will be transported from Sanddrift to Pakhuis Pass.
Start: Pakhuise Pass,
Leg 1: Pakhuise - Algeria (56km)
Route: Following 2016’s 100mile track via Huening Vlei hut and Boskloof Valley
Leg 2 + Night Marathon: Algeria - Sanddrift (42km)
Route: Following 2016’s 100mile track via Suurvlak se Kloof and Maltese Cross
Marking: Marking: Any areas deemed tricky to navigate will be marked.
Detailed route descriptions and Maps will be available on Friday at 6pm for the briefing.
1. Follow the designated route only. This route is
ONLY for experienced trail runners. (Sorry, no juniors U21).
2. Obey all instructions from marshals. Failing to listen to instructions, may award you a disqualification.
3. You are required to be self sufficient with water and nutrition – do not rely on water tables, there are none, this is mountain running. There is fresh water in the streams which is pleasant and safe to drink.
4. Equipment – you will need the appropriate gear for the weather on the day. This may be a windbreaker, or a full – blown raincoat and thermal under garments. Head lamp. Be prepared!
5. All runners should take a space blanket, basic first aid kit, and a cell phone (although reception is sketchy).
6. Keep in mind that you are responsible for your own well – being on the trail. Be mindful of your
condition and only do what your body allows. If you have a heart condition or other medical issue, let us know in advance.
7. Absolutely no litter will be tolerated. You can help by picking up any dropped items.
8. Respect Animals – Do not disturb or harass wildlife. Animals scared by your sudden approach may be dangerous.
9. Be friendly to other trail runners, if you see any.
10. Please do not pick wild flowers, chip rocks or gather any other artefacts or trophies. Take photos, leave footprints.
11. Participants indicate acceptance of the rules of The Cederberg Traverse 2016 – (100km Trail Run) by their signature / click on the entry form.
12. Note – Cut off times to be advised.
13. There are no refunds. If you can not take part you must find a substitute for your entry. Roll-overs are valid for 1 year ONLY and substitutions do not apply.
1. Trail pack with sufficient capacity for all race kit.
2. Waterproof jacket
3. Hydration - 2 litres capacity. This is a make or break item.
4. Food = nutrition for 12 hours
5. Base Layer (preferably thermal)
6. Space blanket
9. Headlamp with extra batteries.
10. Personal GPS
11. 6 AA spare batteries if renting a GPS from us.
Spare pair of shoes for Algeria transition
Fresh running gear for Algeria
Emergency food supply
Accommodation @ Sanddrif:
Cottages get booked up very quickly, email Caeli for availability in 2017.
Directions to Start / Finish venue Sanddrif:
From Cape Town, take the N7 turn-off on the N1 and, 28 km after Citrusdal, turn right at the Algeria/Cederberg sign. Continue past Algeria and over the Uitkyk Pass (second pass) – about 46 km of gravel road – until you reach Dwarsrivier, home of Cederberg Wines. Total distance from Cape Town: ±250 km; ±3 hours’ drive.
More information: energyevents.co.za/event/cederberg-traverse-2017/
|Address||Sanddrif, Cederberg, Western Cape|